At AFC Home Club, we care about your home as much as you do. We’re here when you need us for emergencies, but we also want to help you get the most out of your home on a day-to- day basis. One of the easiest ways to ensure comfort is by practicing a little preventative care with home maintenance.
Follow this handy checklist from The Art of Manliness to stay on top of your home’s needs throughout the year:
- Inspect, and possibly change out HVAC filters.
- Clean kitchen sink disposal.
- Clean range hood filters.
- Inspect your fire extinguisher(s).
- Test smoke/carbon dioxide detectors.
- Test garage door auto-reverse feature.
- Run water and flush toilets in unused spaces.
- Check water softener, add salt if needed.
- Test your water heater’s pressure relief valve.
- Give your house a deep clean.
- Replace batteries in smoke/carbon dioxide detectors.
- Vacuum your refrigerator coils.
Annually (Organized by Season)
- Check the exterior drainage.
- Clean out gutters.
- Inspect the exterior of your home.
- Get your air conditioning system ready for summer; consider having it serviced.
- Repair/replace damaged window screens.
- Clear dead plants/shrubs from the house.
- Check trees for interference with electric lines.
- Inspect roofing for damage, leaks, etc.
- Check grout in bathrooms, kitchen, etc.; repair as needed.
- Inspect plumbing for leaks, clean aerators on faucets. Take care of any insect
- problems you may have. Clean and repair deck/patio as needed.
- Clean out window wells of debris.
- Check and clean dryer vent, other exhaust vents to exterior of home.
- Clean garage.
- Flush hot water heater and remove sediment. Winterize air conditioning systems.
- Get heating system ready for winter.
- Turn off and flush outdoor water faucets.
- Get chimney cleaned, if you have one.
- Test sump pump.
- Check driveway/pavement for cracks.
- Buy winter gear such as sidewalk salt and shovels, etc.
- Regularly check for ice dams and icicles.
- Test your electricity to the extent that you can.
- Tighten any handles, knobs, racks, etc.
- Check all locks and deadbolts on your doors and windows
- Check caulking around showers and bathtubs; repair as needed.
- Remove showerheads and clean sediment.
- Deep clean and inspect the basement.
This list is an abbreviated version published by The Art of Manliness. For more details on each task, visit artofmanliness.com.